Take a look at yourself in the mirror.
Do you have a skinny and fit physique with your clothes on? If so, that’s great!
Now, take a look at what’s under your shirt. Does your body still look ripped without a shirt on, or it appears a little chubby– with some excess fat in random places?
If this is your situation, you may be star-crossed with the infamous skinny-fit physique. So, how do you tackle this? How do you get started? Lucky for you, we’ve covered it all!
Have we managed to pique your interest? Good.
Read on below to find everything you need to know – from exercises and diets to fat-burning and muscle-building tactics. And finally, to discover how to go from skinny fat to ripped in 3 simple steps.
What Is Skinny Fat?
Before we get into business, it is important to know that the term “skinny fat” in itself is a contradictory term. That is because a lot of people do not believe in being both skinny and fat at the same time.
It may sound very cynical, but it is very much possible.
Skinny fat is a body physique where a person looks skinny with a normal BMI and a layer of clothes. However, underneath this layer, the body appears to be slightly fat. Additionally, these people’s physiques also have very little muscle mass, contributing to the whole “skinny-fit” appearance.
Having a skinny-fit physique can be quite disheartening. But, don’t worry because it is possible to transform yourself by burning fat and getting completely ripped. However, you will still need to create a proper diet and practice it religiously. Moreover, you will also have to do the required exercises mindfully.
Unfortunately, this is where a lot of people start to lag.
What Is the Dilemma Behind It?
Skinny fat guys often find themselves wondering how they need to start their workout. Should they start bulking up or cut down carbs first? If you are someone with this physique, you may also have this question in your mind.
The first step to get a ripped physique is by reducing the fat from the belly. That will help things easier for you to get your six-pack abs. Additionally, you will also need to work for muscle mass to get your biceps and pecs pumping.
That is why a lot of guys with skinny-fit physiques are confused about where to get started with nutrition and training. It leads to a lot of fluctuation and errors for cutting and bulking, eventually ending with no results.
In order to calm this chaos and confusion, we have included a step-by-step guide on how you can go from skinny fit to ripped.
A 3 Step Guide on How to Go from Skinny to Ripped
If you would like to go from skinny to ripped, you can follow our detailed 3 step guide and get there fast!
Step #1: Find Your Percentage Of Body Fat
It is a well-known fact that a lot of people have different types of bodies with varying compositions. Therefore, there is no one-size-fits-all category.
Hence, the first step you need to do is determine your body fat percentage. And the best way to do this is by using a body fat caliper. These are easily available and you can find them at pocket-friendly prices on Amazon.
However, there are analog body fat calipers as well. These range between $100 to $250, and they give accurate fat readings. Similar to the traditional kind, these are also easily available on Amazon.
Step #2: Decide Whether You Want To Cut Or Bulk
Next comes the matter of confusion. Ask yourself what you need to do first. Would you like to start with cutting or bulking?
The problem here is that if you start with cutting, you may get more skinny. On the other hand, if you start with bulking, you may gain more weight.
However, if you have followed the first step properly, you would have determined your body fat percentage. Based on this, you can decide which process is best suited for you.
You can start with bulking if your body fat percentage is less than 15%. Keep in mind that it is common to gain some weight with lean muscle mass. However, this is a normal change. Besides, you can always benefit from gaining a little weight if you lack body fat.
At this stage, do not focus on showing your abs. It is very easy to get carried away with them. However, forget about your abs at this stage. Once you start the cutting process, your abs will get more defined and chiseled.
You can start the cutting process once you have gained a certain amount of muscle mass. It normally takes 3 to 6 months.
You can start with the bulking process if your body percentage is more than 15%. In this case, you have extra fat. Therefore, it is best to lose a few pounds before you start gaining.
Do not stress the fact that you may look extremely thin and skinny. It is important to remember you cannot complete the process of going from skinny to ripped in a month. It is a long, strenuous journey, mate.
You can continue this process until you reach a body fat of at least 12%. After this, you can start with lean muscle gains.
Step #3: Make a Proper Plan
In order to get a ripped body, you need to have a proper plan. Once you have properly mentioned your goals on a blueprint, it will be easier to accomplish them.
There are a lot of celebrity fad diets and workouts on the internet today. However, as mentioned earlier, each person’s body composition is different. So it is important to design and fabricate your own diet and workout plan that works best with your current physique and goals.
Pointers For Training and Diet with Bulking and Cutting
We understand that it can be quite difficult to start working out, especially if you have not done it before. So, here are a few fast pointers that will help you boost your training and diet and make it easier.
Pointers for Training While Bulking
• Do your exercise sets in a safe hypertrophy rep range. Doing 6 to 12 reps is ideal
• Try lifting moderate weights or heavyweights, but do not compromise with the form
• Each muscle needs to be trained at least two times a week with enough intensity
• While doing bulking exercise, it is recommended to do some cardio. If done right, cardio exercise will not get in the way of building gains
• Cardio while bulking also helps to strengthen and improve the overall cardiovascular ability
• However, make sure you do your cardio exercises right after weight training and not before it
Pointers for Nutrition while Bulking
• Make sure you try to consume at least 80% calories, and this should be sourced from healthy foods
• It would be best if you also consume adequate amounts of protein. For example, you can consume 1 gm per lb of body weight
• However, your diet should also have other components, excluding protein. Your diet should also have important micronutrients and other healthy fats
Pointers for Training while Cutting
• Lifting heavy weights will help you retain your already existing muscle mass but will also reduce muscle loss
• One of the most common errors people make during cutting is doing cardio. During the cutting process, it is not advisable to do too much cardio
• You can spread out your workout to 20 minutes that you can do 3 or 4 times a week. That will help you burn a lot of calories within a short period
Pointers for Nutrition while Cutting
• While you are trying the cutting process, you have to be a calorie deficit. It is the only way to get rid of fat quickly.
• Additionally, your diet needs to have slightly more protein than you are gaining. That is because you will be on a low-calorie diet. Therefore, high protein levels will help retain muscles.
• You can also add 1 to 2 servings of your favorite salad to your diet. This way, you will eat more proteins even without noticing them.
Skinny Fat to Ripped: Parting Words
And that’s all, folks! Here is a quick sum-up of this entire article.
Being “skinny fat” is a common yet contradictory term in itself. However, a lot of guys fall under this category. They make look fit and skinny with a few clothes on. But when the shirt comes off, so does the body, which in turn reveals a lot of belly fat.
The best way to manage this is by following the 3 step guide as mentioned in this article. It can be quite difficult to change and adapt to a new routine. Therefore, choose an achievable goal based on your fat percentage and follow it down to the T for results.
If done right, you are guaranteed to see a ripped, chiseled body in no time. So, keep grinding, folks!